Thread: #3in a series
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2004, 09:48 AM
Guru

jonwelder, What I mean is the standard discount is 50% from list price or a 100% mark up from the dealer cost.
If you sell a dealer a knife for $200 he will sell it for $400. This causes two things to happen, the price is too high for the average buyer and you don't make enough on the knife. This hasn't work well for me, I have found that a 35% discount works well for me and when working with a dealer I require several knives to be in the first order and more than one knife to be bought on reorder. This evens things out for both of us.
One thing to be very careful of it consignment make double sure of who you do business with.
The man I work with is as honest as the day is long and for the first year he paid cash when he picked up or I delivered the knives.
This dealer sells nothing that is JUNK and nothing at list price and has been in the knife sales for 25+ years and is known all over the truck driver world, one other thing to think about is the buying habits of the customers that you are aiming at, unless you have a collector or a person that is familiar with hand made knifes come through you will not very often find a person who will pay more than $250/$300 for a knife in that setting. Also there a lot of truck ####### that love knives and can't get to shows because of there jobs. There are a few Truck Stops that have Knife Shops in them but it is hard to sell knives to them. Hopes this helps if you want more info email me. Gib