View Single Post
Old 11-02-2016, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
Bright Orange is perfect for only 2 minutes. Next time try to work it back and forth and hold for 5 minutes at bright orange, but not yellowish. Temper at 400 degrees for 2 hours, then cool to room temp. Now take a metal shim, a penny or quarter and put it under the bend and clamp to an angle iron or some very thick metal and quench at 450 for 2 hours. Most of the warp should be gone. If there is still some you can clamp it on the ends and putting a shim in the middle slowly bend it straight. Now if you do not have something to clamp it too during temper you can bend it gently in a vise and I hate to tell you that if that is all you have, but if you are careful you can bend it in the vise, but do not try to go past the warp by more than 10% of the bend. Then maybe you can grind the little bit of warp out.

You didn't finish grinding it before heat treat did you?
Thanks for the suggestion! I ground the edge back some before HT to restore some of the thickness. Luckily I saw a few days ago that the edge should be dime to quarter thickness.

The HT really shocked me. This was my first time and it is a little intimidating to be honest. I was thinking it should take closer to 5 to 10 minutes to get it at the right temp, so when I removed it and saw it was orange I was definitely concerned! Maybe I should cut back on the air going into the coal fire...

No, I didn't move the knife back and forth. I just put it into the hot spot and left it. I also didn't swirl the knife in the cooking oil. I dunked it, waited for the flame to go out and then a few moments after I moved it in a up and down motion taking it part of the way out of the oil. That could have been my problem.

Thank you SO much for the suggestion!

Shawn