View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Caffrey View Post
Clean design. and nicely put together. The only thing I would recommend is using heavier material. I think what you'll find with 1/4" is that you'll get a lot of vibration, and "flex", especially on the platen and work rest IF it's made from 1/4" stock.
The platen side plate is 3/8" plate and the arm is solid bar stock. The frame's 1/4" plate sides, front, back, bottom and top are all welded to make a 3" thick member. One side is on tension when stressed and the other in compression. At 3" apart it is a very rigid frame to hold the tooling arm.

You are correct about the tool rest and platen flexing under enough pressure, but it takes a lot to flex them. I will upgrade these two parts to 3/8" plate on my next build.

Haas is taking longer to deliver my new mill than I hoped for. Once it is running I will make a lot of parts for these and hopefully get them into production.

I have a ton of wheels made all of the time available for anyone who needs them, the web site is on the side of the grinder picture.

Thanks for all of the feedback.