Thread: Glove safety
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 06:50 AM
Steel Addict

Glove safety

Recently, I was put on a blood thinner called coumadin, A little, nothing type cut becomes a big deal with the bleeding. My doctor told me not to play with pointed, spinning things . Let me define my goals. I am looking for a solution to all the little nicks and abrasions one gets through making knifes. I think I found it. Bigger injuries are treated by a QUICK call to 911.

http://rs.nationalsafetyinc.com/comp...resistance.pdf is a link to an article which pretty much lays out glove saftety. Safety gloves are rated on a scale of 1 thru 5 for abrasion and cut resistance. (there are actually 3 different agencies involved but the standards are the same).

I bought 2 different pairs to evaluate. First was a pair of Ansell HyFlex 11-518. I bought them from Amazon. They were supposed to be level 5 gloves, but in further investigation, they are only level 2. And then I found the RS Hughes Company. I spent a lot of time talking to their "experts" about what would be best for my needs.

Hughes recommended The Jackson G60 glove with true level 5 protection. Here are the main differences:

1. The Jackson gloves have much better wrist protection. The Ansell gloves had just a short section to cover the upper wrist where all the blood vessels are. The Jacksons go much higher and offer much better protection.

2. The weight of the Jackson gloves are much more substantial in construction. The kelvar is heavier along with the nitrile coating

the contact information is http://rshughes.com

I haven't had a chance to test either one of the gloves as I had a cardioversion which took my time away from testing. I totaled my car in between.

I am well aware of the dangers of wearing gloves when working, I've never done it. But, sometimes it is necessary.

More testing to follow.

BTW, I never had a chance to thank the people who responded to my original post. Sorry I took so long and THANK YOU.

OH, and I also ordered kelvar sleeves for arm protection. I am beginning to feel like a knight in armor .
Don't take life too seriously-----you'll never live through it.