View Single Post
Old 05-22-2002, 10:37 AM
sjaqua

My under standing is that both will stablize the inswool/kaowool lining of your forge. This is VERY IMPORTANT. Inswool or Kaowool is very nasty stuff. If you line your forge with un-coated Inswool/Kaowool, you will be blowing very small fibers out of your forge, when you run it. These fibers can cause a great deal of damage to your lungs. ITC-100 or Satanite are ceramic coatings that will act as a top coat and seal the loose fibers down. Both work very well for that purpose.

The basic difference between these coatings is that, ITC-100 is a much, much better refractory coating. And thus, costs much more. The saving in propane over the long run, however; will more then pay you back.

My forge has two inches of Kaowool on the tops and sides. The bottem is lined with one inch of Kaowool and a layer of fire brick. The inside surface was then coted with ITC-100. I had an number of people say my "toy" forge would not weld. Well, lets just say it weld fine

As to making the forge last. My floor has taken some damage from welding flux. But only because I didn't replace the sacraficial floor soon enough. I always weld with a piece of 1/2" kiln shelf covering the floor, which I replace as it gets eaten by the flux. I can usualy weld about 3-4 cable or pattern welded bilets before replacing kiln self. The only long term damage to my forge was that the Kaowool roof fell apart this last weekend. But that is because my forge gets knocked around, becasue I take it on the road to demos. It only took about 1/2 hour to put in a new piece of Kaowool and coat it with ITC-100.

Scott B. Jaqua