View Single Post
Old 07-07-2017, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Customs has become a really sticky situation, no mater where you're going, or where you're coming from. I had a situation several years ago when I was scheduled to teach a Bladesmithing course in Canada. My host supposedly sent in all the required paperwork/permits to the Border crossing I would be going through.

When I arrived at the border and stated where I was going, and what I was doing, I was directed "inside". That's where I was told the paperwork was not in order, and I would need to contact my host to clear it up. I tried for more then 3 hours to contact him, with no luck, and finally asked the Border Agent if I could just go back home, straighten it out, and come back the next morning (I only live 1 1/2 hours south of the Canadian border). I was told "Sure!". So that's what I did. That's were things went south. I went home, got the paperwork figured out, and went back the next morning. When I pulled up to the Border crossing station I was asked "Have you ever been denied entry to Canada?" To which I answer "No"...... That's when the Agent told me that his computer said I had been denied entry into Canada the day prior!

So now, for the last 5+ years, I have been trying to get that notation cleared, with no success. Now EVERY time I show up at the Canadian border, it's a minimum of 2 hours inside the Border Station, being treated like a criminal, having my truck emptied out/searched, and being asked the same questions by at least three different Agents.
During one trip I had an ammo can of anhydrous borax (welding flux), which they "searched' by dumping it out on the parking lot, having a dog sniff it, then telling me "you need to clean that up".... luckily I had a small shovel and broom in the truck . They do the same thing when they search a vehicle....empty it out, spread it across the parking lot, and when they're done, walk away and tell you to "Ok, you can repack your vehicle."
Unless you want a LOT of heartache/hassle, and enjoy having things confiscated, don't even try to bring ANYTHING back that you didn't take with you! I've been crossing the Canadian border back and forth for the last quarter century, and within the last decade it's just become a nightmare. Border Protection personnel for the most part are great folks, but it always seems that I end up with one or more who have a "god" complex, and they are just a pain in the butt to deal with, and make me dread crossing the Border.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."