View Single Post
Old 11-01-2015, 05:30 AM

I find most of your answers to be quite surprising. I checked all of my hunters and with the exception of one Mora Knife, (which is right at 4"and I've never used on game), most of the others are between 3" & 3-1/2" with a few shorter then that. My two favorites are a custom made by Paul Geortz which is based on a Loveless semi skinner. It comes in at exactly 3-1/2". The other is a copy of a Loveless drop point hunter and it is just over 3-1/4". With these two knives I've gutted and skinned a dozen or so deer and one elk and never felt I needed anything longer. The reason I asked the question to begin with was because I have a couple hunting buddy's who's knives are in that 4-1/2" to 5" range and the felt really big in my hand. Plus I'm going to be building one of the Jantz, USA made blades and was trying to decide between their pattern 21 at 3-1/8" and pattern 22 at 3-1/2". I never thought of going that much bigger. I guess it's the old blonde versus brunette, chocolate versus vanilla.