View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 08:56 AM
Guru

You are putting a secondary bevel on the blade before sharpening right? if you don't do that it will take forever. I use 2 process most often one is put the secondary bevel on and do the rest with a edge pro......Other wise I will use my grinder to put on a secondary bevel (just as before.....) I do this right behind the idle wheel of my grinder so the edge becomes slightly convex but I keep it as close to the wheel as possible to keep that to a minimum. Then I have a diamond stone 300 on one side 1000 on the other very rarely do I use the 300 If you use a dulled 220 or 400 grit belt you can go right to the 1000. Now the diamond stone makes it a little flatter if you used the grinder (on the slack right behind the wheel) I start with the blade aaway from me tip it up to the edge now lets say you have the knife on the side where the handle is in your right hand tip to the left edge away and spine toward. OH first take a sharpie marker and use it to just color the secondary bevel right at the edge. Then tip the knife up so the secondary bevel is in contact with the stone as you push the knife away from you at the same time pull it to the right so the tip also makes it across the stone. Now remember that sharpie maker IF you had the knife on the right angle the stone will scratch away you can use that to tell if your holding it to high or low....very good little trick......After I do both sides I have a piece of leather that is glued to a piece of leather and I put green chrome on the leather and run the knife across that too. That will get rid of the burr completely and will make it razor sharp....if you keep doing passes the green chrome will mirror polish the edge of the blade....it is hard for me to put that exact motion in words maybe some one will explain better than me