Thread: Teak for Tiek
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2015, 09:07 AM
Skilled

Thanks for the comments guys !!

Hunter, I am using .093 (3/32) precision ground from Aldo. FFG with full taper from bolster to tip .0245
(and still with my trusty 1x30

Dan, still love your web site. Find myself popping in often. As for the 304 - Love it. I have used it for
almost every knife I have made with guards, bolsters, and pommels. Unlike the stories I have heard, I
have never had problems with cutting, milling or shaping. I use cobalt bits, haven't burn one yet.
I originally chose 304 for just one fact that
I read and who got me following his work, Jay Fisher. 304 is the only SS he will use for all his work.
Good enough for him, good enough for me.

Quote from his site: "Austenitic Stainless Steels: In this group of steels, I use 304 stainless steel, and
I consider this the best bolster, guard and fitting material in the stainless alloy steels.
Disadvantages: 304 stainless steel does not machine easily (my problem, not yours). It does not engrave easily,
and most engravers will never even attempt to engrave this tough, hard material. But I do, and my clients love what I get.
It also costs more, mainly for the effort and machining.

Important note: In my opinion, it is absolutely the finest bolster material available.