View Single Post
Old 10-16-2015, 03:09 PM
Guru

ok i had no clue as far as the rain and how much. So you think that rail that i included link above in last post is ok i figured as far as the pitting goes and rust easy to grind out even tho one side is kinda sheered half way off seems ok not like it takes a huge chunk out that would change the weight much. i still haven't heard from my brother in law so i don't know whats up with that but that rail on ebay is the only one that is that cheap so i dont want to wait to long and have some one grab it. Today i took a ride too the store with dad to get a part for the ride on mower and around back of the building is a metal fabrication shop so i ran down there and of course it was all closed up and no one there i left a note with my number but he had a bunch of I beams out side there was 2 already cut to a decent length that i could use but the steel wasn't all that thick from what i have seen rails are thicker on top. i am sure i could get one of those for cheap as its already good length take it as is. As i said tho it was thin so i dont know how that will work. but he had all sorts of i beams out there however the bigger and thicker ones were all like 20ft long i am sure he would cut them but i can almost gaurentee that then the price would rise quite a bit. So my question is....is there any rule of thumb on how thick the steel on the i beam should be now i know the bigger heavier and thicker the better i get that but is there a point where it just get too thin for practical use and i would just be better off ordering that rail instead.......i really do not want to waste the money and getting something too small as far as the i beams go and end up spending money on rail anyway