Thread: Unique Sheath
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2017, 10:15 AM
Skilled

Houston there may be a problem...

First picture shows the original (?) E-bay offer of the knife package with the sheath with the keeper strap. As we have shown, the knife in this offer is the same as the one in the second package, sheath without keeper.

Then Bill showed the picture below of the sheath-with-keeper with a different knife.

Does anyone see a problem with this package?

The pictures speak for themselves, but I find it interesting that the same person has two of these odd sheaths, and they are the only ones that have surfaced in 70 years so far as we know. The knives advertised with at least one of these sheaths changed, and now one of those knives has some strange handle characteristics.

I suppose that if this is green Tenite, it could have shrunk ... but usually shrunken green Tenite was attached with screws, isn't that true? Also, these sheaths use the small tack rivets. And does the thong hole in the handle material look too large to be original?

Though these sheaths have a different cut, I know of no green Tenite handled knives that came in a Johnson sheath with the small rivets. So there are some additional questions, the most apparent is whether any of these knives are original to the sheaths.

The sheaths seem to be authentic, and look to have period age and evidence of extensive use. Not sure they are Johnson though. Mr. Gaddis told me that Mr. Randall used 4 or 5 different shops on occasion to make sheaths during the early-mid 60s. Here is another odd ball sheath that we discussed in the vintage 14 line that would have been from the early 60s.

It guess it all could have a straight up explanation ... one person bought two knives at same time in mid-60s and got matching special sheaths and then his estate sold both, and and and.

Last edited by Jacknola; 08-04-2017 at 10:59 AM.