View Single Post
Old 08-10-2016, 12:10 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
Any of those things will help with corrosion resistance for a while but none are necessary, simple maintenance works just as well or better. A blade with an applied finish may look good at first but become pretty ugly very quickly with use. Of all the applied finishes I like simple etching the best for rust resistance and appearance.

I have a 7" O1 blade laying on my front porch right now. It had a Moly-Kote finish 17 years ago but that's long gone now. Now the blade is completely covered with red rust and this is simply the result of exposure, the knife was not used so the finish was not worn off. Bottom line there is, even coated you still have to do simple maintenance (dry the ####ed blade off after use!) to avoid rust. Most Randall knives are O1 and you don't see paint on them. Use bluing or paint when you need to darken a tactical blade, other than that it offers little advantage.

BTW, that rusty knife on my porch is still just as solid and usable as the day I made it although it would need to be re-sharpened ...
You should take better care of your tools. YOU of all people!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!