Thread: Brisket slicer
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2016, 02:05 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
Nice knife Damon. How did you cut the stone? I've been thinking of getting some reconstituted turquoise and malachite for spacers, but I only have a jeweler's saw and the blades I have though they have very fine teeth, I don't think would cut stone. Do I need diamond blades?

Here's a tip on saving some sanding time. I take the knife down to a 600 grit finish and then use diamond compound on leather glued to a 1x6" piece of wood. 500 grit looks like 1000 grit and it gets there fast as well. The stuff is great, I'll bring you some if I ever get up that way as I would like to see your engravings. here's a link for quality diamond compound if anyone's interested, oh they have Cratex rounds for jeweling too.
https://www.borideabrasives.com/Publ...e/Default.aspx
jewelers saw will work fine for cutting it. id suggest a #4 blade or larger. I just use the same metal cutting band saw I use for cutting everything else.

that link has a lot of very useful products. but those diamond compounds are a bit pricy for just a few grams to be using on a knife blade.