View Single Post
Old 11-14-2020, 11:45 AM
Skilled

Quote:
I ran thru some old photos and found more than a few Johnson BB with model and length, and in fact, it appears a sheath with neither is far less common and is the odd man out.
This may take a bit more looking into, and I will keep an eye out, but sheaths sans any marking from Johnson seem to be fairly uncommon.
If you found brown button (BB) sheaths with numbers, I suggest they were probably Heiser "HKL," not Johnson. I studied these two issues (1. Johnson BB sheaths; and 2. Johnson early baby dot (BD) sheaths sans numbers) in several discussion lines with lots of documentation. But since it has been some time, here is a "Cliff notes" review of these two issues.

Johnson brown button (BB) sheaths, mid 1962 - early 1963:

We defined Johnson BBs A sheaths (as opposed to Heiser, aka "HKL" BB) as those with an east facing stamp with all the characteristics of Johnson baby dots including retainer placement, butterfly stitching, etc. And Joe, you are right... there are not a lot of Johnson BBs that have surfaced... he apparently did not make a lot of BB sheaths (at least compared to Heiser). But none of those that have been found in my search had numbers stamped on them. Here are some pictures and discussion...

This first picture illustrates the classic difference between Johnson BB sheaths and Heiser "HKL" BB sheaths. On the left is the Heiser HKL which obviously looks like a Heiser. On the right is a Johnson BB which in every respect looks exactly like a Johnson baby dot. Note the lack of any numbers on the Johnson...

Below is an early Johnson BB model 1 sheath. No numbers....

Below is an early presentation WDR model 3. No numbers....

Below are four Johnson BB sheaths... No numbers...

Below is a Johnson BB sheath, model 3?-4? knife, no numbers...

There are more Johnson BBs that I've posted in various lines but this is enough to verify my original statement that Johnson did not stamp his BB sheaths with numbers. HOWEVER, there is one exception to this Johnson BB sheath, "no-number" feature, and it creates quite a perplexing paradox... It is about “C” split-back sheaths. This paradox is discussed in depth on the last pages of the "magic Randall" line linked below. I have a theory but no way to find proof at this time.

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...=57968&page=11

RE: Johnson baby dot sheaths, no numbers, probably first 6-9 months 1963:

I documented in other lines the time when Johnson's first began to use baby dots (BD), ... which I interpret as being about start of 1st-2nd quarter, 1963 or so. When he began using them, he continued his BB practice of not stamping them with numbers. This lasted until about 3rd quarter 1963 when he began adding sheath numbers. Here are SOME of the documented baby dot, sans number, Johnson sheaths from this <6 month window...

Below is 1963 Bowie, Johnson baby dot sheath, no numbers...

Below are pictures of several Johnson BD sheaths No number, documented

Please, I don't want to replay discussions of the definition of Johnson vs Heiser HKL brown button sheaths. The above cliff notes summaries are for those who didn't or haven't followed the Heiser-Johnson grand unification theses and proof presented by Ron and me in the past.

I hope this helps refine dating of Vietnam era RMKs. If I get motivated to research the question of single number stamps on model 1s and 5 sheaths further, I'll start a new line and present my findings.

Regards.
Jack

Last edited by Jacknola; 11-14-2020 at 11:54 PM.