View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 04:34 PM

It's time to light up folks!

Part III continued...

To his credit Rhett was never one for political correctness. So the October l995 issue #28 of the RKS newsletter contained a colourful full page insert offering members a cool chrome Zippo lighter, enamelled with the society's logo. It came in a metal box with a cardboard slip-on cover.

The insert also offered a small to pin with the RKS logo to anyone signing up a new member. I've yet to see one of these pins either "in the flesh" or for sale. If you have one please post a photo of it here.

I obtained the lighter that was offered in the insert (shown in the two photos below) on eBay five years ago. Unlike Randall knives, whose date of creation is often difficult to pin down, all Zippos are marked with the month and year of production. This one was made in May of 1995.

In the following years there were at least three more production runs of these lighters. The second was in 2002, the third in 2004, and and I believe last one was in 2006. These all come in a black plastic holder.

Below is the 2002 lighter which is the very first item I obtained that had to do with Randall knives.

Here are the backs of the 1995 and 2002 lighters with their seals still intact.

Whether one smokes or not, these lighters definitely make neat mementos to both Randall and Zippo collecting nuts alike. They do appear for sale on eBay from time to time.

More of this tribute to Rhett, Janie and the RKS to follow... In the meantime pass the smokes.

Cheers!

David

Last edited by Moosehead; 11-24-2011 at 02:01 PM.