View Single Post
Old 02-24-2017, 11:21 AM
Steel Addict

ATP641 is great stuff. If you're doing any HT at all, steel should be protected in some manner. I only use one thin coat, dip the tip in the bucket, use a tooth brush to paint it backwards, thin even layer. Hair dryer for a minute or two....done. Stops decarb and scale dead in it's tracks, and it is supposed to work all the way up past 2000F.

It's not like the PCB, which I understand stays on. ATP will flake off even after an air cool, especially after a quench, so thermal cycles...it needs to be reapplied every time.

The only issue I have had with the ATP, I believe it is the flux or something in there, I get little dots after the quench, on occasion. Sort of look like little bitty water spots on your car after a wash, and are hard to remove. This is not decarb at all. Perfect little round circles, about the size of a BB, maybe 3 or 4 per side on a knife. Comes and goes...sometimes I get the dots, sometimes not. Even had a friend of mine, fellow knife maker Matt Gregory, HT a round knife (wouldn't fit in my kiln door) for me, he used the ATP...got the same odd little dots. O1 tool steel, too. I got it on some 115W8, but oddly, the other steels not so much.