View Single Post
Old 10-14-2015, 07:45 PM
Guru

hey guys i didnt have a chance to check the comp. today but ray to answer your question...when i put the wool and coatings on i did not thinks about the brick i just ran the wool and coatings all the way around including the bottom so now say if i just put a full brick just in there on top it sits up WAY to high, I think i know what your going to say just cut out the bottom to make the brick sit lower right? i figured that is probilly the best solution however i took so much time in piecing that buble alumina back togather ( remember i broke it all up when i fliped the forge upside down and the B.A. fell off) and puting another thin layer on top. i know cutting it out is the best way of doing things but it killing me to cut that out after just puting it in i guess trying to find another solution is just not going to happen and i gota cut it.
ED...good thought i didnt even think about the rough surface being a problem i thought just cause it ended up bein so thin Probilly a lil of both.

Also guys so i dont have a actual anvil i had 2 real old big vices ya know the ones that the attached piece that slides in and out is a big block of steel (opposed to a thin round rod) well one of the vices was a mess so i actuly been using that big square steel piece from the vice with some success. Today i spent a lil time and made myself a pair of decent tongs and they came out ok they dont look prity but they function and that is the important part right? but i think i came to the conclusion that a legit anvil will make things alot easier. i never used a "Traditional style " anvil so i dont know what is the best thing to look for and i am not trying to spend crazy money i dont have it right now. I think the best deal i found is a 55 pound anvil Single horn and a hardy hole for $68.00 what do ya guys think? i do think i need a legit one as it the basic tool but dont know to much about them is 55 pound ok? to small to big? i dont need a huge one just enough to do basic forging and a lil pattern welding. any advice on this would really be appreciated i dont want to spend alot but i REALLY dont want to waste money on something that is not going to help me. Thanks