View Single Post
Old 09-25-2015, 12:45 PM
Guru

Burner set up? whats Yours?

Hey guys first let me say i got question about burner options but i would also like to know how yours it set up? what you use presently or in the past? how did it work?

I was watching some of rays dvd and it got me thinking about some things. One I want to try and get a better burner. Even the real simple one seemed to work very good but also impressed with the blown burner that was used. So first I was thinking about making a venturi style burner. Specificly the ?side arm burner? from zoellerforge.com. Do you guys think that will be a improvement on the one I have. The one I have came with the forge I got. The guy sells them on ebay heres the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-Made-gas...5f1bcf3a4?????. Also I took a pic of it below. Now the second thing I was thinking about is a blown burner. I was thinking about just buying one of these if I can either find one I can hook up to a air compressor or I find a blower real cheap some where. The 2 main blown burners I found is the one on Hightemptools.com (wich I am sure one way or another I could find a way to physically hook up to a air compressor but I don?t know what the requirements would be to make it effective doing it that way) I also found one made by devil forge http://www.ebay.com/itm/DF-AIR-FORCE...item3a8beac104
This one actually says it can be operated on a air compressor. Basically my questions are 1. will the sidearm burner reach welding temp in my forge and be a improvement over what I have?
2. as far as the blown burner option goes first I know these burners should deffinitly meet my heat needs but would it be to big? I know it could heat a forge that is bigger than mine but will I be able to use it in mine with out having to much burner?.i could just keep it on a low or medium flame right and just not turn it all the way up?. Lastly if that is the case what do you think about the 2 forced air burners that I found? Are there any others out there for sale I had a hard time finding them. I know the blown burner might be a lil much for what I need now but honestly I got a few extra bucks in my pocket this week so I would rather collect equipment now when I can rather than needing it down the line and not having the funds for it then. However I still want to be ABLE to use it with good results now even tho it can probilly do more.

pics of forge and burner. the forge is 5 1/2 in in diameter (inside of the wool and coatings) and 10 in. long