Thread: Kydex Adhesive?
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2015, 01:58 AM
Registered

Howdy all. Always a tinkerer and now tinkering with Kydex. I was very interested in this thread's OP and the answers given to it. After the chemistry and health and safety introduction I think I'm going to drop this class. I always bombed in chemistry anyway. That and rotting one's lungs out is never a good idea I figure. When I'm making a holster or sheath I always leave way too much material so at least I won't end up with too little. Because of this I'd guess that the gluing stage would be out of the question for me anyway. Sounded like the OP had wanted to make a Fobus wanna be holster type of thing where it ends up being a homogenous piece of plastic where no seam can be seen or felt? Was that a correct assumption of the OP?

What little experience I do have with Kydex I've realized a couple of things. Yes .060 is easier to heat and bend and such, but you'll be much happier with the finished product if you start out with .080. I've also combined a couple of after career "things to do" projects and I've drilled closer to the edge with much less "flat parts" sticking together. I guess that the reason for this much material is so that most folk can get their rivet punch in there and punch in a eyelet every 3/4 of an inch or whatnot? I put a few more holes in the plastic than most and every other one is only half a hole. This allows me and a weave I've modified from my Paracord days to stitch the sides together. I love this approach since you can always go back and modify the grip or retention of your holster/sheath. Also I start the weave from the top of a belt worn sheath so that when I've reached the bottom I have enough line left over to form leg tie downs. I know, old western styling with a plastic holster. Doesn't make any sense, but it does indeed work and for me is easier to get into place over the eyelets that I often only get half way through the material (that's even with the thin .060 stuff). That's why I looked to this thread to find about gluing, but as it is, I think I'd better stay with my paracord weave. Stick with something that works I guess. Smithy.