View Single Post
Old 06-15-2006, 11:44 PM

First: If it is still emitting radioactivity at a rate beyond that of normal metal, then it is not (by deffinition) depleted.

Second: Rubber gloves and a mask? Don't kid yourself. Uranium emitts gamma rays, and they go through steel! Only heavy lead shielding will do the trick.

I suspect that the technical deffinition of 'depleted' describes an isotope that has gone through the process of radioactive decay to the point that it no longer suitable for its original purpose. However, it may still be dangerous.

As for radiacmeters (Gieger counters), they will go nuts if you hold them next to some television sets and certainly if you held them next to the tritium sights on your guns. Don't let the clicking sound scare you. You need to know the details of the substances that its measuring to know the real risks.

I'm no metalurgist, but I do know a thing or two about radiation dangers. That was my job in the Army.

For the record, I think all forms of uranium are controled substances which are illegal to own. If it came from a Soviet made RPG round, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Those rounds are supposed to be shielded to keep the users safe. They weren't really concerned about the target, so if you have a spent sabot..., well, it's your butt.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."