View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 01:42 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondG Knives
As Ed says, there seems to be a trend twords the Asian style kitchen knives. I know I like them! I no longer cook as a profession, but did for some time. I like a wider blade 2.5 to 3.5 wide. I do not do a lot of heavy chopping, so I like a thinner 1/8, 3/32 spine with a flat ground blade. I like a finer edge. I understand that it is much more delicate, but with care it isnt a problem. 10 to 12 inches seems to be a good size, althought I prefer a 10 there is sometimes a need for the length.

Just my $0.02 worth.

God Bless
Mike
im not a chef by any stretch of the imagination but i worked in kitchens for a few years and my experiences led me to prefer knives like mike listed.

wide blade, thin spine (i prefer 3/32" over 1/8") 10" model, drop point. i also liked to keep a heavier knife for chopping through stuff such as ribs, and of course a smaller paring knife for peeling things and 100 other tasks. i would say about 70% my time was with a 10"drop point chef knife, 25% with a small paring knife, and the other 5% with a large knife.

a couple observations.....have an ergonomic handle and light weight. the hand tends to fatigue quickly with a heavy knife in a kitchen. make sure if you have a bolster on the knife it doesnt go all the way down to the edge. some knives have this (integral henkels come to mind) and after repeated sharpening the edge wears back and the bolster will hit the cutting board before the edge..making it harder to quickly chop through things. also on the blade where the bolster would be i liked to grind the 90degree angle off so you dont catch your finger on it on accident. jason cutter posted a knife that has this modification awhile back

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ght=jason+chef

i never used japanese designs myself but ive had customers ask for them. i stuck to the drop point that is found in most commercial kitchens.

ok done rambling now,
-jason