View Single Post
Old 08-21-2016, 06:29 PM
Guru

Indeed a spatula is stainless, but prob a 400 series type.

Don't worry about if it's 302 or 316L. Just make sure it isn't very magnetic and it will not corrode as it will have very little iron in it. 304-302 is barely magnetic, but be forewarned that most cutlery like a spatula, is a 400 series stainless and if it is very magnetic it most definitely will be more prone to corrode. 440C is 17% chrome, therefore it is considered a stainless steel. D2 tool steel is only 10-11% chrome and I believe to be considered stainless it has to be 13% or 14%, but I have made many a knife out of D2 including a filet knife exposed to salt water and it hasn't rusted yet, but it's owner (my son) knows how to take care of a knife.

304 has very little iron in it at all (no iron and no carbon means no harden). Try calling welding shops, there has to be some. Also stainless pans are out there too, but expensive, but you can always find a deal maybe. BUT IT IS HARD TO WORK and cut. Cutlery though is almost always a 400 series steel and exactly which kind? Ask the maker. You won't find much stainless in computers as it's too expensive and heavy, mostly aluminum and cold rolled steel.

Join us tonight I guess about 3 am your time in Ray's Sunday chat room.

Last edited by jimmontg; 08-21-2016 at 06:33 PM.