View Single Post
Old 12-29-2015, 06:01 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccustomknives View Post
Check out this thread that's currently running. it probably covers every question you have to ask. http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=65716
Thanks. Yes I'm aware of that thread and actually waded through the first 10 PAGES, and frankly saw nothing other than a mention of heat treating. Also I'm treating blades profiled by stock removal not forging or using a billet of damascus. After 10 pages I was tired... Hats off to your and Ray's patience though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lester View Post
Don't put it into the tempering oven while the blade is still hot. You may not be giving the steel long enough to convert to martensite and you'll end up with elevated retained austenite. Wait until you can hold the blade in your bare hand without too much discomfort. The temperature of the kiln and the soak time are probably good as you need most of that time for the steel to come up to temperature.. I would back the tempering cycles down to 375? unless you are making a chopper. A slicing blade could use the extra hardness. I think that the consensus is that you put blades into a preheated oven.

Doug
Thanks Doug, that's what I was looking for. And yes, when I mentioned the temperature of the blade going into the tempering oven I meant cool enough to handle but still warm. Don't know if that is critical or room temperature is okay but most of what I've researched recommends just what you said.
I've seen tempering temps from 375 - 500. There seems to be a lot of opinions there. I'm making just a general purpose knife/hunting/camping. I'd like something that will hold a reasonably good edge after obtaining the initial edge, you know what I mean. So I'll back down the tempering cycles to 375 and perhaps sharpen one up before adding the scales. That way I suppose I could re-temper at slightly higher temp if I feel it's too hard.

Thanks for the help Doug!