View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 02:00 PM
Guru

damon. I found that calculator when I first started before I was any good at freehand. I made one of those jigs you can make from a piece of angle iron (search youtube you will see what I am talking about) with that sort of jig it was very helpful to know the angle. eventually after a few blades I wanted to learn how to freehand and I did...however the way I did it free hand is like you said mark the center line mark the height line , grind to center then grind towards height, done. after seeing the buibble jig in a few videos I got curious because it is NOT like any other jig out there I am not sure if you have seen it basicly you know those file guides that you put at the pluge lines...just like that but its "extended" for lack of a better word so you have room to put a lil level bubble magneted to the file guide thing the hole thing clamping the blade in the file guid thing and setting the level bubble takes less than 3 minutes. with that I know the angle so I can start grinding at the right angle and continue all the way through and that makes it a lot quicker than grinding free hand when you "grind to center line then back" (for me anyway) also its more accurate and makes it pretty much imposible to get the sides un even (unless your really really bad at this if so I sugest you find a new hobby) BUT like I said it is not like other jigs the blade is still in your hands you move it just like free hand it just gives you a guide IF you look at the bubble sometimes once I get the bevel going I don't even look at the bubble any more. it can be used on every kind of blade that I can think of curved or not straight pluge lines or swept, plunge lines angled or not flat grind scandi grind what ever. I really don't look at it like a jig , its not a jig kinda holds the blade for you this doesn't...I don't know if you have seen it in action try to you tube "bubble jig fred rowe tutorial" if you haven't it is soooo simple and easy and makes work quicker and more accurate but has the flexability so you can decide to go to free hand at the drop of a dime without taking off anything just don't look at the bubble that's all......if you cant tell I think the thing is absolutely genious.... SHINY to answer your question like I said just like a file guide like you would use if you were doing the bevels by hand with a file so you can keep the plunge line straight. so no it doesn't contact anything obviously the side will bump up agenst the platen if you are doing a straight plunge without the belt hanging over the edge of the platen but even if you do have the belt hanging off the side so you can get that swept look it doesn't contact much it might rub up agenst the side of it but if your asking because your wondering if it will wear by hitting the belt ....no I have done many blades with it and no wear whatso ever . if I remember right I think it is made from hardened o1 steel that may help with not wearing to but I wouldn't worrie about that maybe if you grind 15,000 blades you might get some wear but by then you got your monies worth lol