Thread: Cocobolo?
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 08:34 AM
Skilled

Cocobola has some natural open grain places. It's not as open grained as walnut or oak, but you'll occasionally find some open places. You can probably successfully fill them with CA adhesive if they bother you, but it may not stick well because the wood is so oily.

Cocobola does not need nor will it take a finish. It's just too oily for anything to really penetrate or stick to. The same is true with stabilization. Sand it smooth, at least to 600 grit, then lightly buff or hand polish it. Wax it occasionally with something like Renaissance Wax, but not an old fashioned paste floor wax which will build up and yellow. Cocobola will most likely oxidize with age and use.

I've never been a fan of CA glue finishes. First of all, the stuff is an adhesive, not a finish coating for wood or anything else. Second, it's not really a good adhesive. I don't like the artificial look it gives. If you want to hose your knife's handle with Super Glue and sand it down between coats, go ahead. But I think the look of polished cocobola is much nicer.

David