View Single Post
Old 01-26-2019, 04:32 PM
Guru

For a simple ht don't think complicated

Decarb isn't a problem if doing a 5 minute heat treat Rasmus. You're going to get the blade just up past nonmagnetic for a couple of minutes with 80crv2, which has a small amount of vanadium in it which will prohibit excessive grain growth from overheating past 1550 to 1650, but with a 2 minute soak past nonmagnetic at 1420F, unless your forge is hotter than I think it would be given your setup, you shouldn't exceed 1600F in 2 minutes and what little decarb that would occur will grind off with the scale.

If your knife jumps up in color quickly don't wait two minutes. Also if your forge heats unevenly you need to make sure you don't get hotspots on your blade, move it around until it heats evenly, you don't want dark areas near the edge area. Be sure to have your quenching oil close enough that from forge to oil it takes less than one second, half second is best and what you should aim for.

A normalization is not necessary for stock material it's only for if you forged the steel and forging is where decarb can become an issue because you forge at high temps in the 1800+ range.

Yes keep the back of the forge closed if the knife takes a while to reach HT temperature which I bet it does. Wear sunglasses the light is harmful to your eyes, especially if you have blue eyes. They don't have to be dark, yellow is fine.

Keep your forge area dark if possible, but if you have to setup outside, oh well no big deal.
Here's a link to heat treating colors that may help as a guideline.
http://www.westyorkssteel.com/techni...-temperatures/

I can't help you with a hamon as I always used W2 or a Nicholson Black Diamond file and never did hamons very much anyway, so you don't want my advice on your hamon. But I will add get a good ht first before fooling around with hamons which I don't know if your alloy does hamons well or not, some don't hamon well like O1 steel.

Last edited by jimmontg; 01-26-2019 at 07:19 PM.