View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 07:20 PM
Guru

Tomahawk?
It's a Danish Viking axe, well a copy of one, 4160 steel or 1060 teacher wasn't sure. Forged it down at the college. Put a brass sword guard on it and with the head being 2 Lbs and a 22" handle I don't think he wants to throw it. Especially cause I told him it would cost $60 to handle it again, the handle isn't one you buy. My customer wanted a using axe, but wanted a Viking flair to it, hence the Norwegian laminated steel blade I handled years ago and made sheath for him with it. To antique the brass I just put bluing on it to age it up a bit.

I did blacksmithing before forging a knife at my brother's shop in CAL. Was good training for forging a knife, but I haven't forged many knives. I can't forge without a power hammer any more as I have COPD and hand hammering isn't happening. Most Tomahawks you buy aren't good for chopping wood as they aren't typically hard enough and are too light. Ones I've seen are 4140 or 1045. They are made for throwing. That axe is differentially HT, hard edge and poll, but softer in the middle.