View Single Post
Old 03-23-2016, 01:39 PM
Skilled

I sent a message to Randall Made Knives last night asking if they could add saw teeth. I received a short reply today, reading as follows:

__________________________________________________ __________

"We are not able to add saw teeth to any completed knife. thank you

--------------------------------------

Randall Made Knives
4857 S. Orange Blossom Trail
Orlando, FL 32839
Phone (407) 855-8075"

__________________________________________________ ____________

Dam... I was going to suggest naming the new blade the "Randall Jack - Fighting Stiletto" for me of course, or maybe for Jack the Ripper.

Of course this raises some question. Is the reason teeth cannot be added to any completed knife because the completed knife has a handle, hilt, hardware, blade polishing and stamp, etc., that would be damaged during grinding?

Or is it that the saw teeth are ground during annealing (when the metal is soft and ductile) , and the metal of the finished blade is too brittle to stand grinding teeth after the knife blade is hardened?

I suspect the latter case, which means a local machine shop couldn't do it either. But that is just my own engineering technical curiosity ... I appreciate the shop responding. However notice one thing... they said "any completed knife." That means someone could order a NEW model-2 with teeth. I just don't buy new knives, but it would be cool with the right handle.

Last edited by Jacknola; 07-28-2017 at 12:06 PM.