View Single Post
Old 08-06-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lester View Post
One thing to take into account is just the blade design. They will be thin to fit the collet but they will also have to be hard to hold and edge and increasing strength to resist bending. However, being hard will also make them more brittle and less tough. Also have you given consideration to what it will take to cut and grind these small blades? Do you have the ability to safely hold them as they are being ground and heat treated? Maybe you might want to make something like an old fashioned scalpel with a fixed blade on a handle. It would use increased thickness to increase the strength of the blade.

Doug
Just to clarify, I wouldn't make these by hand myself. It would be impossible to be cost effective that way. In terms of size and thickness, the hobby knife shape is ubiquitous, so I want to be part of the standardized size market for them. Increasing the thickness slightly is a viable alternative, but I couldn't go much beyond that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccustomknives View Post
Maxamet is a powdered steel. It's got a pretty wild alloy. It would be very expensive, even compaired to D-2 I think. Heat treat would also be expensive. It would do well, I would guess (and it's just a guess) it would see another 50% edge holding over D-2 at the same hardness. Though as stated before, it wouldn't be as strong. The particle steel technology in this alloy makes up for some of the strength loss. Since I've never played with this steel alloy I'm only speaking from a theoretical level.

Yes, I see. So we're back to it being more brittle. This stuff is a real tug-o-war!