View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 02:20 PM
Steel Addict

Sam -

I am still uncertain what the real problem is. Very few Astros left the shop w/o scales. I think that is evident. Did you review Gaddis? You seem to dismiss what he said, as apparently there was more that a little discussion about the model 17 to include the handle.

The paperweight and tie clip I am not sure are a basis for anything of substance. It is apparent Bo liked the design, to include it seems the tang material removed and he also apparently liked the drilled holes for attachment of a scaled (or tenite) handle material. So perhaps he simply liked the look of the overall design in its stripped down form.

As for your analogy of the wrist thong link versus drilled butt for WWII thong attachment. I am not sure that really was what you were after. Perhaps the "evolution" of the blade grind on the 17 as was discussed on KTF is very similar, an evolution in design, like it or not.

A wrist thong link versus drilled hole is not the same a an Astro without scales. The first was a wholesale change or evolution of design, whereas scales on scales off is somewhat benign and not of any real importance that I can determine. So a civilian could order one without scales. Ok. I just don't see any earth shattering news here. More than likely that is why they were offered w/o scales, primarily for display, because it sure wouldn't be a good use when the model 15 or 18 were available and superior for most tasks.

It seems to me, that while the initial blade(s) sent to Cooper had no scales, purportedly for handle design input, all knives photographed are drilled for scale attachment. I glean from that, that the intended design was to provide a method for handle attachment. I have never seen a photo that I recall of a non drilled tang. This is of course pertinent to Orlando forged blades as we know the Solingen blades were already drilled.

So after all this back and forth, I am still amiss to what the issue is.

Last edited by crutchtip; 09-05-2018 at 03:13 PM.