View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 10:10 PM
Skilled

Boblade? Where are you?,
I hope Ron hammers in here, but I'll get the ball rolling. Historically: The Model #5 "Camper" came about at the end of WWII, I believe. It is pictured in a catalog photo in 1945, but I cannot recall any photos before this time period. At one time it was also referred to as a "Yachtsman". When I was a pup, doing this Randall thing a little more "part time" than now, it was also called the "Bradford Angier Camp and Trail" knife. This was named for the famous wildilfe and outdoor author. I am sure someone can research through the old Randall catalogs and find out exactly when the name was shortened. This model is basically a single hilt version of the good ol' Model #1, with the exception of: No top bevel sharpened (although it can be ordered as such): No cut out in front of the hilt on the top of the blade.
On a "local", i.e. "Florida" note, Ross Allen, the famous herpotologist at Florida's "Silver Springs" used a 6" Model #5 almost exclusively, if memory serves me correctly. I remember going there as a kid and watching him "milk" rattlers. Way cool!! (probably shouldn't use terms like "way cool" when making historical notes about Randalls but: That's all just part of the charm! Trust me: At 12 years of age, Ross Allen was ..."Way Cool"!!
I have emailed a couple of interesting Model #5's to the Moose. (Sorry, raindog, I lost your email address..please send it to me again and I will try to store it where I can find it). Perhapd Moose can place them within this post. Best for now, Captain Chris Stanaback