View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 11:16 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUBE
im not a chef by any stretch of the imagination but i worked in kitchens for a few years and my experiences led me to prefer knives like mike listed.

wide blade, thin spine (i prefer 3/32" over 1/8") 10" model, drop point. i also liked to keep a heavier knife for chopping through stuff such as ribs, and of course a smaller paring knife for peeling things and 100 other tasks. i would say about 70% my time was with a 10"drop point chef knife, 25% with a small paring knife, and the other 5% with a large knife.

a couple observations.....have an ergonomic handle and light weight. the hand tends to fatigue quickly with a heavy knife in a kitchen. make sure if you have a bolster on the knife it doesnt go all the way down to the edge. some knives have this (integral henkels come to mind) and after repeated sharpening the edge wears back and the bolster will hit the cutting board before the edge..making it harder to quickly chop through things. also on the blade where the bolster would be i liked to grind the 90degree angle off so you dont catch your finger on it on accident. jason cutter posted a knife that has this modification awhile back

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ght=jason+chef

i never used japanese designs myself but ive had customers ask for them. i stuck to the drop point that is found in most commercial kitchens.

ok done rambling now,
-jason
Jason! thanks so much.. that's really helpful. I will integrate those two key features, light weight and 1/2 bolster, with a tapered back 90 bolster angle (to save the fingers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNet
'french' knife would be the classic triangle shaped chefs knife. I think if you really get down and looked at what's being use you will find it's whatever their supplier likes to stock As many resturants are not that concerned with what knife they use as they are quite bad in the abuse department. The recomendation is stainless steel , no wood and perferably no cracks or gaps, something they can toss in the dish washer and put thru abuse, they sacrifice cutting and edge holding over abuse friendly.

Also if you head over to places like cooking.com the pampered chef and other places like that and take a look at the best sellers you will see a trend.

Also if you look at the 'iron chef's on food network you will see in the original japanese version they all use custom hand made knives, in fact http://www.chefmorimoto.com/knives/knivesinternal.htm

Ed
Ed, its interesting that Chef Morimoto uses a French looking knife, with CARBON STEEL! also, he uses the two features that Jason mentions above - the reduced bolster and ground back 90 deg edge.

Sure would be nice to forge a nice 01 or W2 knife out of good ole carbon steel.. but the stainless seems more useful. thoughts? He's using exotic woods and expensive materials for the handle, i was thinking about Corian - how would that perform?

Last edited by twistedneck; 07-13-2006 at 11:18 PM.