View Single Post
Old 01-08-2004, 04:21 PM
Registered

RokJok-

Thanks so much for the advise!!

I actually haven't touched the edges yet, on the sheath I burnished with beeswax and a steel shaft, but because I bought the minimum in tools I don't have and edge chamfering tool (don't know what it is called). When I burnished the sheath, the top and bottom didn't compress the same as the center of the leather, and I didn't care for how it turned out. After I found this board, I read about the Gum T, and decided to try that method instead. I did burnish the belt loop with the wax because it needed to be done before it could be stiched on, but again I don't care for it.

As far as the groover, I tried to do it on the sheath, but when I pulled the leather over the knife I used tacks to hold it in place, and I guess I placed them too close to the knife. When I ran the groover, the tack holes were so close to the knife that I couldn't groove and cover the holes at the same time. I decided to cover the holes.

Also, with the groove I just have a cheap-o from Tandy, and it was difficult to use. I think it wasn't very sharp when I got it, so I need to get another.

Can rivets be punched right over the thread? I thought about doing that, but didn't want to cut the thread. The rivets on the bottom and the 2nd rivet further away from the gun are covering blemishes caused by the way I clamped the leather as it dried. To clamp it, I cut a peice of wood in the shape I wanted and pulled the leather over the gun and under the wood. This seemed to work better than the tacks on the sheath, but I don't think it got enough pull to make a refined, *tight* look that I wanted. Any ideas?

Thanks again, I will be doing something else as soon as I finish a few things on this one, and of course reading a few things.

Shane Watson