Thread: Static charge
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2017, 09:39 AM
Guru

Static charge

Hey guys, So I have been having this problem for a while. I am wondering if anyone else has this problem and maybe found a solution? So this only happens with certain belts like scotch brite belts, cloth backed like 3m trizact and a few others. So when I am grinding I get this friction between the belts and glass covered platen and it creates a static charge and lil sparks shoot off the platen onto my hand. Its not a huge shock but enough to surprise you. So I would like to fix that but I have gotten used to it a bit. But every once in a while instead of sparking off into my hand I guess it travels through me and I can feel it spark off my foot into the floor. Its worse of cores if I am wearing slippers (LOL one of the benefits of working at home ) but even with shoes and even when I have heavy boots on it still happens. When it sparks off my foot it is MUCH stronger than when it pops off into my hand. I have ruined 2 knife now as when I feel it in my foot it surprises me and I have dug the knife into the grinder. A couple times its been easy enough to fix but twice the only way of fixing it would be to take off a lot of the blade as the gash has been so big in the knife......ANY advice would really Help I cant afford to make these gash's in my knives. THANKS GUYS!