View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 07:34 PM

Buffalo stag handle help

I recently built the supersquirt and absolutely love it. I even added a spring! Well, this lulled a zero experience knife maker into complacency and I now have a DDR3BL kit and some stag style buffalo scales for a handle. I think I can assemble the knife itself ok but am clueless about handle making. I've made a paper template by tracing the liner and made note of the bolster position. I guess I carve to fit at this point? What worries me is seeing terms like "stabilized" etc... and wonder what I'm doing horribly wrong. I sort of want to buy the pres roughed handles knife kits offers for my model and cut my losses. Am I in too deep as a total novice? Lastly, do I use adhesive in addition to the screws on the handle scales? I did not with the carbon fibre scales I bought with the supersquirt. ####able new hobby.... As if fishing rod building and beer brewing wasn't enough. Thanks for any help!
Chris
PS - it appeared as if the DDR3BL came with a rough wood handle when I ordered it. Closer inspection of course reveals otherwise but my mistaken assumption is part of the reason I'm in this conundrum!