View Single Post
Old 07-06-2017, 12:55 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtec1 View Post
WNC GOATER...like I said not big into the science behind it. Someone once tried to explain this to me as far as bringing the tempeture down that low actually "freeze's" a lot of the steel not letting it have a catastrophic failure. And if you think about it ANY material you have at room temp the molecules are actually vibrating even tho we cant see down to that level... And what is heat? energy What is cold...just a lack of that energy....so ever thing slows down inside the steel as it has less energy.....That is just general science on any material ......But a VERY simple way of looking at it......say you had 2 nice steaks one you leave on the kitchen counter the other you put in the freezer....Now say you come back a week later wich one are you going to eat?
HaHa! Having a difficult time equating that rotten steak analogy to a frozen knife!
Anyway, what you say makes sense I suppose. That's about as far into the science of it all I want to go. I have a tendency in my older age not to question so much the why, but just accept that it is. On the other hand, sometimes I do wonder, "well why does it do that"?

I understand a knife blade breaking under the stress of sudden hardening in a quench. I don't understand it spontaneously breaking AFTER it is quenched, with it just sitting there. But I can live life just knowing to go ahead a put it in the tempering oven and I won't have to know the "why".

Guys on here are much more tolerant. On a blacksmithng forum I recently asked about the difference between coke and coal. Coal, as you burn it to forge, converts to coke and THAT is what you actually forge with. Okay, we all know that basic truth. But I became aware there is industrial coke you can use for forging. I was trying to ask clarification between coke converted from coal in the forge, and this industrial coke. One particularly "cheery" fellow cut and pasted something off of Wikipedia then blasted me for asking for clarification. Never can understand those who participate in forum discussions yet are self-righteously indignant when someone asks questions. Always thought of forums like a bunch of guys chatting around a campfire. Some on forums, the way they respond, would get them thrown INTO that campfire!

And boy has this thread drifted...

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!