View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 01:59 AM
Guru

Ray I also have another issue.
I did the distal taper on my filet knives, but I used CPM S30V for my last batch, (0.90 thick). I had to replace one because the deckhand was in the habit of just standing there flexing the knife over and over and after about 2-3 months of this the blade work-hardened and broke just about 1 inch above the ricasso. I replaced the blade with an extra I had. (Did my attitude no favors though)

I had Peters HT do my blades to my spec of 59-60. How low will I have to spec the HT on the KITH? Or should I use something different like AEB-L and stay away from the high Vanadium series?

I never made a very flexible O1 blade, from filet knives from my experience as a commercial fisherman I have always gone for abrasion resistance over flexibility for carbon steel knives. I have never made a filet knife out of anything other than Nicholson Black Diamond files, O1, D2 and CPM S30V. I have never made a knife that won't hold up to cutting through bones and heavy scaled skin.

The reason I ever started to make my own knives (Nicholson) is because I was fed up with having to keep sharpening my knife after 3 to 6 fish. Big fish bones wear out regular filet knives rather quickly.
You filet 3 tons of fish and you may understand where I'm coming from. My freshwater filets have more flexibility because they are thinner, but no less hard. The work hardening aspect is my personal issue l guess.