View Single Post
Old 07-02-2001, 12:49 PM
beknives

WOW !!!!!!! That is awesome Mitch.
I love the color of the handle that you got there.And that engraving on the back of teh guard just ads that little extra touch to dress it up really nice...
A trick that I have learned with the bone is to try and drill all the holes before you shape the handle that way if it does chip out a little you will smooth it out before ading the pins.Also if you have a way to keep it flat against a new piece of wood(just a spot that doesn't have a hole in it where you are coming through with the drill bit) it helps in keeping the piece from splintering.Ivory and horn can do this to you also if you are not careful when drilling the holes.I just let the drill press feed itself through without adding any extra pressure when it is about to go through.It just takes a little practice and then you will like the bone for the handles,and it gices it a nice antique look also.If you would like I will send you a set of scales that have been dyed and stabilized to try.Just send me a email and let me know and I will send you some to try.
Bruce