Thread: Forge questions
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 10:42 AM
Guru

As far as the hole just as ray said drill a small hole then use a hole saw with a pilot bit to keep it centered. Both of my forges the burner actually sits almost perfect horizontal to the ground but it goes in up at the top so the flame skims off the top and down the other side. Again as ray said I have always used satinite but always more than one coat. I would do one coat let it dry for a day then turn the burner on low, Then turn it on and off and each time turn the burner up a little and keep it on longer, This will make sure the satinite is completely dry. Then a second coat, I put the first layer on thick once and I guess I didn't let it dry enough before the second coat and when I was drying the second coat with the burner. Since there was still some moisture in the first layer it started to I guess boil off. BUt there was a bunch of MINI explosions inside the forge and it was the satinite "POPING" of the wall. Then I was left with a bunch of spots that needed to be re coated, Think thin and let it dry. I always made sure the back was open just as much as the front. I went and got a bunch of HARD fire bricks (I geuss the soft ones would work never tried the hard ones are cheaper and easy to find locally, TIP find a place that put in or fixes fireplaces I guarantee they will have these hard fire bricks. They are like a yellow-y light brown color and come in 2 sizes one like a regular brick and one thin one) That way I use the fire brick to close up the end, Now you can open it if you have to but just put 2 bricks up agenst the opening to close it off. Best of both worlds kinda thing