View Single Post
Old 01-27-2017, 06:10 AM
Guru

The L6 substitute 8670 or 8670M would make a good throwing knife as well now that I think about it Chris. It would make a great thrower tempered down to around 50. It is basically an improved 5160 with nickel in it for toughness. Admiral steel carries it as does Alpha knife supply if you want a smaller piece. L6 is available, but in thick sizes like 5160, but it's not as cheap as 8670. Heck Cincinatti Tool Steel where those HT instructions come from sells L6 in 3/8 and 1/2 plate sheared to the size you want if you want to forge an axe or sword.LOL Their shipping was a flat $20 last year whether you bought 10 lbs or 100.

Some of the stainless steels make good throwing knives as well, but that would take some research, but I know that 410-416 will harden up to around Rc40-44. Just take up to nonmagnetic around 1425 and air cool. 17-4PH is a really tough stainless and you do not need to HT it as the PH stands for Pre-Hard. Exactly how hard it is I do not know, but it was some pretty tough stuff to work with. It wouldn't hold an edge well, but would make a pretty good throwing knife.