Thread: first forge
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2015, 09:13 PM

Crex, I turned the pressure down on the gas to try and get a even heat in the forge is why I let it run for 35 min. if I turn the pressure up to 25 psi I can get heat a piece of 1095 cherry red in less than 2 minutes but it is only heated about 4 inches though. So I turned forge down and tried heating up bricks to get a even heat. The end of the burner was 1 inch from chamber opening as I pulled the bricks tonight and started rounding out the chamber with kaowool. When burner is running around 18psi the flame will touch the bottom bricks.

The steel was 1080 and is 3/16 thick. I normalized it 3 times. I don't have a thermo coupling on forge so I used a magnet and heated till the magnet would barely stick to the steel, then let it cool till black and repeated process. Tempered using magnet, heated till magnet didn't stick to blade and checked it on spine as well as edge in 3 places. Blade was a even orange color. Quenched in canola oil till it could be touched then wiped blade off and in small counter top oven that I have checked with digital thermometer. Heated for 1 hour on 400 degrees then cooled to room temp and repeated.

Now here is where you hit the nail on the head. I set the blade on its spine but it fell over on wire rack and the harden stripes match the rack perfectly. Thanks for the input on the wire rack as I never thought of this. Still learning the small but very important details.