View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 05:56 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty water View Post
This will my last post on this (I hope),

Jack, quit altering your post, everytime I attempt a reply it looks like I'm answering some other one!

I don't make the claim to be an expert on the old knives, hell, even the new ones are confusing to me!! But here is my take on the knife...I believe the story to be true ; being as what would the family that sold the knife in the first place have to gain by making this story up? All they were trying to do was sell the collection to make a few bucks, they obviously had no idea of the values...

The grind lines are very poor as is the braising of the lug, indicative of the early bowies, now I may not have held as many as you have, (?) , but this is painfully obvious! The collar looks as if it doesn't even match the buttcap because it was never removed in the first place and has been wiped out by rehandling and reshaping...

Jimmy Garrett was the "braiser" for over 30+ years and was blind as a bat till the end! I remember him reparing a braise and another employee making a statement "that if we made knives that looked like that today, we'd be fired!!"

Very low quality in the finish dept was very apparent on the old knives, especially the bowies! So, I guess you can clump me in with "experts" that you have disagreed with in the past because I believe the "story" and think maybe you missed this ONE...
I do edit my posts to try to take the emotion out of them. Sorry. Scott, that is a very well reasoned, rational post. I disagree, but you have presented your case very well. The info about the grinds is good stuff. Let's drop it now...it is a moot point in any case. Thanks for the insights into the shop, regards.