View Single Post
Old 03-14-2016, 09:46 PM
Skilled

Scott, yes, of course I made that observation. Given the special methods used, I would speculate that making several brazed hilts in a batch made sense in the 1950s-60s. And if the hilt was the deciding factor for age determination ... where is the original coolie cap?

But whether the shop did or didn't have some extra brazed lug hilts in a bin back then is not my point. When discussing vintage knives, we shouldn't hang our hat on "it could be." Heck, every knife Mr. Randall made in the 1950s "could be" in that case. But the vintage of this knife wasn't even presented as a "could be"... it was presented as hard fact.

To make a claim about a vintage knife one should ideally present the case .. and if there is doubt, acknowledge it openly. In a discussion, heck, anyone can claim anything they want.. within limits of course. But the rule about being open becomes an absolute when selling a vintage knife. Sorry ... that knife has a lot of features that point to 1960s, and not nearly enough to make the claim made about it regardless of the reputation of the dealer.

Look... I'm just an interested collector who thinks that the ethics of selling collectable Randalls require full disclosure. If full disclosure was made in this case and the buyer wanted the knife for the price regardless of the question of age.. fine ... the issue then is just another inflated claim on the internet.

But if that knife was presented to a customer as "early 1950s" with no basis other than a questionable hilt, ignoring all other datable features, it is another story. And if the buyer trusted the well known seller's reputation and paid an age premium based on his say-so, well... some words come to mind.

I have nothing against anyone. But, if I were a dealer who sold that knife and it turned out there was serious question about the claims, I would take the knife back or offer a rebate. Everyone is mistaken at times... especially including me. What is wrong with admitting it and making it right? Is reputation worth a couple hundred bucks?

What can be learned here? Different people will take away different things. I've had my say, time for me to begin admiring vintage Bowies again.

Regards,

Last edited by Jacknola; 03-14-2016 at 10:24 PM.