View Single Post
Old 06-16-2016, 03:19 AM
Guru

The Jiffy can use 1x42 or 2x48. I use a 1x42 Delta from years ago, but it has an 8" disc sander as well which I almost never use on steel, great on wood though.

I ground a 12" double edged Arkansas Toothpick with it. It is made of 1.5" x 3/16" O1. OA was 17 inches. I used a hidden tang handle. Not easy, but technique makes a difference (used an angle grinder for the heavy stock removal). Since I almost always put a linear grain finish on all my knives I am thinking of going down to the college and Cad-Cam a 2x48 grinder to make it with. I will purchase a variable speed motor and that is what is holding me up. I want at least 1 hp and is that enough to make variable speed and still have enough power Ray?

Sorry I can't seem to post a pic of the Toothpick from my picture album. I click on insert image, but it just asks for a website. How do I insert an image from my picture album?

I like the Kalamazoo as it is a good grinder for the economically challenged, but I will spend $450 on the "American" made Kalamazoo than the grizzly and pay the extra $160 to $200 for the 2x72 over the Grizzly plus the customer support from Kalamazoo as well. I have personally watched the owner of a great company crying as he had to layoff person after person and close whole departments as he lost business to the Global economy. Yes he wanted to make money, but he wanted his employees to make a living too. Sorry for the politics, but it's what I feel. If you can wait for the Grizzly then wait for the 2x72 Kalamazoo, but get the motorless version and put a bigger one on than they offer. They are both decent economy machines, but the one made in Michigan seems to have less problems according to reviews..

Last edited by jimmontg; 06-16-2016 at 04:14 AM.