View Single Post
Old 03-13-2015, 08:05 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lester View Post
When you say that your forge won't handle a bigger knife than that do you mean that it won't heat it for hardening? A solution for that would be to have a port on the back side of the forge that you can stick the far end of the blade out of. You just work the blade back and forth to heat it evenly. With practice you could probably heat a blade twice the length than the depth of your forge.

As far as forging goes I have a forge that is 7" deep and I could theoretically forge a 36" sword blade in it because all you can really work with your hammer is about 3-4" at a time.

To be honest, I'm really prejudice against forge finishes and think that few can bring them off well, though I have to admit that you did pretty good. I would also suggest that you clean up the spine a little better to get rid of the nicks and hollows

All in all you are definitely showing improvement.

Doug
THANK YOU for the compliment, that's tough to come by around here so far. And my forge is an Atlas factory-built number. I don't want to try cutting it up for a port I may not use any time soon. Next yer when taxes come back in I'm gonna take a look at buying a lager overall forge, I THOUGHT this one was gonna be bigger, and it was still a bit above my price range. I had to make the jump for the Grizzly this year so I had a workshop. I debated cleaning the spine up but I wanted the nicks and hollows there. I wanted SOME contrast between the forge finish and the shine of the steel without making it look too pristine. The bevel by itself didn't feel like enough of a contrast.