View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 04:30 AM
Steel Addict

Herman

Its not that I dont want to see new techniques born, I always embrace new ideas and techniques.

I just feel that the trial and error that leads to the discovery of these new techniques is what makes them so precious.

More then several years ago(Dont want to give away my age) I was at a get together with some of the best tyers in the art of fly tying. I was over heard saying that I would love to know the secrets of 2 of the master tyers there, and I didnt give it much more thought. Then about 1 hour later a couple of guys that I had met came over and asked if I would like to join them and a few friends for a beer.

When we got to the room there they were, some of the best tyers in the world invited little ole me to talk about tying, letting me ask anything I wanted and even showed me how to get the results I was failing to get.

The bottom line was that these secrets I had been seeking was techinques that I at one time had used and given up on, because I did not take the time to master them before giving up on them.

I also learned that all I had to do was ask them and they were willing to do what they could to help answer my questions. They did not mind sharing, they just didnt want to share with everyone
due to possible misuse of their information.

Jeff