View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 06:41 PM

Let me clarify...

I have a glass-lined platen that I use as needed. I feel the 'bump' every time and wish I could afford the rotary platen to avoid that. I freehand grind--never using a tool rest. I no longer do any mass stock removal on the platen as I did early on, because I have torn belts. I've never been hurt by one, but it startles me when it happens and I don't like it. It tends to happen most with 120G and 220G J-Flex belts (which are my favorite) during primary grinding. It never happened post heat treat as I have my grinder going real slow during that procedure. My go-to grinding surface is a polyurethane coated, 70 durometer contact wheel, with a 60G 3M belt as fast as the machine will go. I can even do some flat grinding in that mode if I'm careful (at least to get it started).

But that's me. I'm one knifemaker and maybe not a particular talented, sensible, or well trained one. I have a tight budget and my tooling and belt choices reflect that. Please don't let me worry you about your set-up. You do what you feel safe doing and enjoy the hell out it. Opinions are free, and I'm no one's priest.

That said: If a metal contact wheel is questionably hazardous while turning and moving with the belt (arguably reducing friction on the back side), how is a platen not equally or more hazardous with a moving belt pinched between two hard, stationary objects? Even worse..., have you seen the radiused platens?

Just food for thought. I've always believed that these forums are here to provoke thought and assist you to discover your own solutions and methods--not to tell you what to think or how to do stuff. Again, opinions are free.

BTW, I loved my 2x48 Multitool II set-up. I don't recall shredding any belts of that size either.

Have a great day!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."