Thread: convex grind
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2016, 05:59 PM
Guru

Dave if you want to do a consistent convex grind you need a consistent "bend" in your belt. In other words how far is it from the edge of your platen to your wheels, top or bottom. I have a 3 inch distance between the two and can do a very consistent convex grind there. All I need to do is hold the blade in the same spot using the same pressure. I have only done convex grinds purposely for a couple of knives, but they came out even and a slight, but a noticeable bulge was visible. For my Viking axe I had to remove the platen as three inches was not enough. But you can use a slack belt and hold up near the idler wheel too, where it is harder to bend the belt. You don't want an excessive convex shape I would guess Dave. Practice first is all I can say. You can also tape a piece of leather over a thin piece of foam and tape that to your platen. I put a piece of leather on my platen once to help control the bump from the taped joint on the belt and ended up making very small convex grinds instead of flat grinds. It wasn't much, but it wasn't flat. I flattened them after HT.lol Don't grind where the tape is btw and set the platen just slightly off the belt. Like Ray said there are different ways to do it, so find what works best for you Dave.

I've made Tantos, but never a truly traditional one so listen to Damon if traditional is the route you want to take.