View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 10:38 PM
Skilled

Some woods definitely do not need stabilizing, like African blackwood and lignum vitae, for instance. Some woods definitely do, such as cottonwood. And then there are those in between, that can benefit from stabilizing but don't have to be stabilized in order to use them. Which woods fit in which category is largely a matter of personal preference. As a general rule, if you can dent it with your fingernail, it should be stabilized... there are exceptions to this rule, however... I personally want maple to be stabilized, unless it is sugar/hard maple, which does not have to be stabilized as it is plenty hard and heavy as is. Walnut is in the gray area, it benefits from stabilizing but doesn't have to be stabilized, IMO. I like stabilized ebony, every time I've used it without stabilization it has led to grief, it likes to check and crack if you even look at it the wrong way, but most people will tell you it doesn't need stabilizing or even that it cannot be done... I say get it stabilized or use blackwood....

A good friend told me one time about forging "What is there not to like, you get to break all the rules you were told as a kid, don't play with that it is sharp, don't play with fire, and don't beat on that"
Wade Holloway

See some of my work.