Thread: Etching
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2017, 11:08 AM
Guru

Etching

Hey guys so this is kinda a 2 part question.....

So first has any one had any luck etching STAINLESS Damascus? I know stainless doesntt have as much contrast as carbon. Thing is I did a small test piece that came out ok. Then I did a folder blade I made from stainless....the only reason I even used the stainless is I didn't have any regular steel left in that thickness so I used a small piece off of a bar I got from chad Nichols at the blade show....But I cant get it to etch anywhere near as good as that small test piece. It makes no sense but basically it come out light grey and SLIGHTLY darker grey and you have to catch it in the right light to even really see the pattern.......

Second Has anyone used SULFURIC acid in etching Damascus (BOTH CARBON OR STAINLESS) so I have had good luck before on carbon Damascus with both ferric or muriatic and even using both. But never used sulfuric and saw a video where he used heated sulfuric acid...it came out OK but its hard to get a realistic shot of Damascus in a video so I am wondering if anyone has tried it and how good it came out.

thanks guys